We believe that science is worth sharing.
STEM outreach has been a core part of the IRM since the beginning. Through partnerships with schools, universities, and nonprofit organizations, our staff and researchers teach K-16 students in the Philadelphia area scientific skills and provide them with exciting and accurate information about regenerative biology. Our reach is also global through award-winning programs like Project BioEYES – which has impacted over 130,000 students across three countries so far.
We strive to provide opportunities to build communication and teaching skills for faculty, trainees, and students. IRM staff members can also support your drive to engage with the community and assist with including this work in your research proposals.
Get involved in our successful STEM outreach programs today!
Learn about our STEM outreach
What better way to give than to support the next generation of researchers! $20 allows a city student to become a SCIENTIST through Project BioEYES!
Giving Link: http://givingpages.upenn.edu/projectbioeyes
Offer a Summer Research Internship
PSOM’s Office of Outreach, Education, and Research (OER), in partnership with the IRM, is excited to offer a summer research internship to local high school students. Last year we had our largest cohort yet, with 25 interns representing 11 Philadelphia schools. Four of the students are current or Fall 2023 Penn Quakers!
In order to keep this pipeline going, we are now recruiting summer 2023 laboratories and mentors.
Summer 2023 details include:
* This is a 6-week summer research experience, from June 26 – August 4th, 2023.
* Each student will gain basic laboratory skills through a 16-hour spring program to best prepare them for the summer.
* Students will be hired and paid by the university, with no financial obligation from you.
* Labs will get $500 to support supplies.
* Mentor training and planning meetings will be held before and during the internship.
* Mentors are required to complete state-mandated clearances (unless completed in the last 5 years) which our office will facilitate.
* Direct mentors can be you, a postdoc, graduate student, or lab staff (more than one mentor is also ok).
* All students will be required to show proof of vaccination.
If your lab is interested in hosting a student, please email Tarence Smith, OER Program Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org by February 17th. Final placements will depend on the number of high school students that are available, but our goal is 25!
If your lab participated in Summer 2022, thank you so much! You may have the opportunity to host your student again. Please let Tarence know if you would be interested in bringing your summer researcher back. This is not guaranteed.
I thank you in advance for your time and energy in paving a path for the young, talented researchers in Penn’s own backyard.